IRS Tax Tips
March 26, 2019
Issue Number: Tax Tip 2019-30
All individual taxpayers and families should claim tax credits for which they are eligible. Tax credits can not only reduce the amount of taxes owed, but some can result in a tax refund. The earned income tax credit is such a credit. It benefits millions of taxpayers by putting more money in their pockets.
The IRS encourages taxpayers who have claimed the credit to help their friends, family members and neighbors find out about EITC. They can go to IRS.gov/eitc or use the EITC Assistant tool on IRS.gov, available in English and Spanish. Word of mouth is a great way to help people who may be eligible for this credit in 2019 for the first time. People often become eligible for the credit when their family or financial situation changed in the last year.
Based on income, family size and filing status, the maximum amount of EITC for Tax Year 2018 is:
- $6,431 with three or more qualifying children
- $5,716 with two qualifying children
- $3,461 with one qualifying child
- $519 with no qualifying children
Every year, millions of taxpayers don’t claim the EITC because they don’t know they’re eligible. Here are some groups the IRS finds often overlook this valuable credit:
- American Tribal communities
- People living in rural areas
- Working grandparents raising grandchildren
- Taxpayers with disabilities
- Parents of children with disabilities
- Active duty military and/or veterans
- Healthcare and Hospitality workers
Free tax help from volunteers:
The IRS works with community organizations around the country to offer free tax preparation services. They train volunteers who prepare taxes for people with low and moderate income. These volunteers can help determine if a taxpayer is eligible to claim the EITC. There are two IRS-sponsored programs:
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance: This program, also known as VITA, offers free tax return preparation to eligible taxpayers who generally earn $55,000 or less.
- Tax Counseling for the Elderly: TCE is mainly for people age 60 or older but offers service to all taxpayers. The program focuses on tax issues unique to seniors. AARP participates in the TCE program through AARP Tax-Aide.
The Tax Guy, the best tax preparation service in the U. S. We will prepare your income taxes professionally, accurately and fast, usually within 24 hours. We offer several safe and convenient ways to do your taxes. Submit documents by Computer, Smartphone or Tablet or fax to our bank level encryption client portal, request a postage paid envelope or make an appointment.
The Tax Guy has been doing taxes and accounting for several decades. We love numbers, and we love our customers! Tax Preparation Made EASY!*hopefully:)